26th Annual Men's / Women's Choir Festival - Collegiate Choirs
FOR ACDA-MN COLLEGIATE DIRECTORS AND THEIR GENDER-SPECIFIC CHOIRS:
ACDA-MN invites its collegiate directors and their gender-specific choirs to join in the 26th Annual MEN’S / WOMEN’S CHOIR FESTIVAL, to be held on Saturday, October 24, 2015, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the campus of Saint John’s University in Collegeville. Each year over 750 singers from 10+ college men’s and women’s ensembles and nearly 40 high schools participate in this Festival. College ensembles participating last fall represented the College of Saint Benedict, the College of St. Catherine, the College of Saint Scholastica, North Central University, University of Northwestern-St. Paul, Saint John’s University and St. Olaf College.
Deadline for college registrations: Friday, September 25, 2015
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN ONLINE ON THE ACDA-MN WEBSITE.
The beautiful Abbey Church on the SJU campus will again be the site of all Festival concerts. Two Intra-Festival Collegiate Concerts will feature performances by participating collegiate ensembles (limited to app. 12 minutes each); the Finale Concert will feature massed men’s and women’s choirs comprised of select high school SSAA/TTBB quartets and the combined collegiate singers. As in past years, the Finale Concert will close with all voices joining in a final selection. The Finale Concert will begin at approx. 4:30 p.m. Public admission to the Finale Concert will be $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for students. (Participants are admitted at no cost.) Families and friends are encouraged to attend!
The registration fee for collegiate choirs remains $100, payable to ACDA-MN. If the collegiate singers wish to eat lunch at the SJU college cafeteria, that fee will be collected in advance; student lunches will cost $9.00. As an alternative, they may wish to bring a sack lunch; there are no convenient locations nearby to purchase lunch. Director’s luncheon tickets are paid for by ACDA-MN. Purchasing music and providing transportation are the responsibility of each school. Repertoire for the massed choirs and combined finale is listed below, order your music ASAP.
Rehearsal tracks are available online for download.
Questions regarding the Festival can be directed to:
Michael Walsh at Buffalo High School
2015 Women’s Chorus Festival Literature:
*Psalm 100 – Ruth Watson Hinshaw HMC1170 $1.90
*Hodie – Joan Szymko Santa Barbara (Lorenz) SBMP356 $1.95
Bring Me Little Water Sylvie – Moira Smiley $1.95 Order online here - SSAA - Key of E
2015 Men’s Chorus Festival Literature:
+Zion’s Walls - Copland Boosey & Hawkes (Hal Leonard) 48003922 $2.50
*Cantate Domino – Hassler/Greyson Bourne 018717 $2.00
+Homeland – Z. Randall Stroope Colla Voce 4896690 $1.50
2015 Combined Choirs Final Selection:
*Musick’s Empire – Lloyd Pfautsch Lawson Gould (Alfred) LG51418 $1.85
*Indicates selection used in a previous year.
+Indicates selection also being used for the Male Chorus Extravaganza in November.
Order all music directly through your music dealer ASAP!
Guidelines for registration/participation:
- Director/teacher must be a member of ACDA-MN for students to participate. Click here to Join ACDA!
- Check for potential schedule conflicts – Sports/Musicals, Parent’s Day Concerts, etc.
- Please register only gender specific choirs (i.e. SSA(A), TTB(B)). These choirs must be regular curricular offerings of your college, not the female/male sections of a mixed choir, nor ensembles formed just for this festival.
- $100 registration fee may be paid online (Visa/MC). Registration is not complete until payment has been received. Participating collegiate directors are guests of ACDA-MN at the noon luncheon. Payment for student lunches will be collected on or before the Festival day, but after school begins in the fall so you can make an accurate lunch count.
- Give accurate e-mail address. Schedules, information and most communication will be done via e-mail and website.
- Performances in the Intra-Festival Concerts by collegiate choirs are limited to 10 minutes, including entrance to and exit from the risers. A brief warm-up/prep time in the Abbey Church will be scheduled during the day prior to your concert performance.
- Recordings will be made of all three Festival concerts and can be ordered from Westmark Recording. Order blanks will be available the day of the festival, or can be found on the festival website.
- Choral participants traditionally dress in their concert attire for the Intra-Festival and Finale Concerts.