Men's / Women's Choir Festival - Collegiate Choirs
FOR ACDA-MN COLLEGIATE DIRECTORS AND THEIR GENDER-SPECIFIC CHOIRS:
ACDA-MN invites its collegiate directors and their gender-specific choirs to participate in the 24th Annual MEN’S / WOMEN’S CHOIR FESTIVAL, to be held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the campus of Saint John’s University in Collegeville. Last October, nearly 1000 singers from 13 college men’s and women’s ensembles and nearly 40 high schools participated in this Festival. College ensembles participating last fall represented College ensembles participating last fall represented Carleton College, the College of Saint Benedict, the College of St. Catherine, the College of Saint Scholastica, Concordia College-Moorhead, Crown College, Northwestern College, St. Cloud State University, Saint John’s University, and St. Olaf College.
Deadline for college registrations: Friday, September 27, 2013
The beautiful Abbey Church on the SJU campus will again be the site of all Festival concerts. Two Intra-Festival Collegiate Concerts will feature performances by participating collegiate ensembles (limited to 10 minutes each); the Finale Concert will feature massed men’s and women’s choirs comprised of select high school SSAA/TTBB quartets and the combined collegiate singers. As in past years, the Finale Concert will close with all voices joining in a final selection directed by ACDA=MN’s president. The Finale Concert will begin at approx. 4:30 p.m. Public admission to the Finale Concert will be $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for students. (Participants are admitted at no cost.) Families and friends are encouraged to attend!
The registration fee for collegiate choirs remains $100, payable to ACDA-MN. If the collegiate singers wish to eat lunch at the SJU college cafeteria, that fee will be collected in advance; student lunches will cost $9.00. As an alternative, they may wish to bring a sack lunch; there are no convenient locations nearby to purchase lunch. Director’s luncheon tickets are paid for by ACDA-MN. Purchasing music and providing transportation are the responsibility of each school. Repertoire for the massed choirs and combined finale is listed below, order your music ASAP. Rehearsal tracks are available online for download or rehearsal CD’s may be ordered at registration.
Questions regarding the Festival can be directed to:
Michael Walsh at Buffalo High School
2013 Women’s Choir Festival Literature:
*Cantate Domino - Nancy Hill Cobb Santa Barbara SBMP282 $1.95
Ich Wollt Meine Lieb' - Mendelssohn Hal Leonard 08761632 $2.10
Psalm 23 - Srul Irving Glick Earthsongs S125C $1.75
*Hark I Hear the Harps Eternal - Alice Parker Alfred LG52931 $1.85
2013 Men’s Choir Festival Literature:
*Rise Up, O Men of God - arr. Jennings Augsburg 9780800645731 $1.30
Armonia – Dan Davison Hal Leonard 08501806 $2.00
All Through the Night – arr. Douglas Wagner Lorenz 15/2622H $1.85
*Goin' Up to Glory - arr. Andre Thomas Lorenz 15/1409h $1.95
2013 Combined Choirs Final Selection:
*Sing a Mighty Song - Daniel Gawthrop Alliance 0002 $1.80
*Indicates selection used in a previous year.
Order all music directly through your music dealer ASAP!
Guidelines for registration/participation:
- Director/teacher must be a member of ACDA-MN for students to participate. Click here to Join ACDA!
- Check for potential schedule conflicts – Sports/Musicals, Parent’s Day Concerts, etc.
- Please register only gender specific choirs (i.e. SSA(A), TTB(B)). These choirs must be regular curricular offerings of your college, not the female/male sections of a mixed choir, nor ensembles formed just for this festival.
- $100 registration fee may be paid online or by check. Registration is not complete until payment has been received. Participating collegiate directors are guests of ACDA-MN at the noon luncheon. Payment for student lunches will be collected on or before the Festival day, but after school begins in the fall so you can make an accurate lunch count.
- Give accurate e-mail address. Schedules, information and most communication will be done via e-mail and website.
- Performances in the Intra-Festival Concerts by collegiate choirs are limited to 10 minutes, including entrance to and exit from the risers. A brief warm-up/prep time in the Abbey Church will be scheduled during the day prior to your concert performance.
- Recordings will be made of all three Festival concerts and can be ordered from Westmark Recording. Order blanks will be available the day of the festival, or can be found on the festival website.
- Choral participants traditionally dress in their concert attire for the Intra-Festival and Finale Concerts.