Men's / Women's Choir Festival - Collegiate Choirs
FOR ACDA-MN COLLEGIATE DIRECTORS AND THEIR GENDER-SPECIFIC CHOIRS:
ACDA-MN invites its collegiate directors and their gender-specific choirs to join in the celebration of the 25th Annual MEN’S/WOMEN’S CHOIR FESTIVAL, to be held on Saturday, October 25, 2014, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the campus of Saint John’s University in Collegeville. Each year nearly 1000 singers from 10+ college men’s and women’s ensembles and nearly 40 high schools participate in this Festival. College ensembles participating last fall represented the College of Saint Benedict, the College of St. Catherine, the College of Saint Scholastica, Concordia College-Moorhead, Northwestern College, St. Cloud State University, and Saint John’s University.
Deadline for college registrations: Friday, September 26, 2014
COLLEGE REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
The beautiful Abbey Church on the SJU campus will again be the site of all Festival concerts. Two Intra-Festival Collegiate Concerts will feature performances by participating collegiate ensembles (limited to 10 minutes each); the Finale Concert will feature massed men’s and women’s choirs comprised of select high school SSAA/TTBB quartets and the combined collegiate singers. As in past years, the Finale Concert will close with all voices joining in a final selection directed by ACDA-MN’s president. The Finale Concert will begin at approx. 4:30 p.m. Public admission to the Finale Concert will be $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for students. (Participants are admitted at no cost.) Families and friends are encouraged to attend!
The registration fee for collegiate choirs remains $100, payable to ACDA-MN. If the collegiate singers wish to eat lunch at the SJU college cafeteria, that fee will be collected in advance; student lunches will cost $9.00. As an alternative, they may wish to bring a sack lunch; there are no convenient locations nearby to purchase lunch. Director’s luncheon tickets are paid for by ACDA-MN. Purchasing music and providing transportation are the responsibility of each school. Repertoire for the massed choirs and combined finale is listed below, order your music ASAP.
Rehearsal tracks are available online for download.
Questions regarding the Festival can be directed to:
Michael Walsh at Buffalo High School
This year’s repertoire is a selection of some of the favorites from past festivals!
2014 Women’s Choir Festival Literature:
*Laudate Pueri Dominum - Mendelssohn Hal Leonard 50500180 $1.80
*Weep No More - Childs Santa Barbara (Lorenz) SBMP249 $1.95
*No Time - Brumfield Colla Voce 2120260 $1.85
Spirit of Life - Aspaas self-published - click here to order
2014 Men’s Choir Festival Literature:
*Brothers, Sing On! - Grieg Alfred WBFEC06927 $1.75
*Were You There – arr. Scholz Morningstar (Canticle) MSM503975 $1.25
*O Mistress Mine – GInsberg Santa Barbara (Lorenz) SBMP446 $1.95
*O Captain, My Captain - Leavitt Hal Leonard HL08740030 $1.90
2014 Combined Choirs Final Selection:
*If Music Be the Food of Love - Dickau Colla Voce 3620109 $1.80
*Indicates selection used in a previous year.
Order all music directly through your music dealer ASAP!
Guidelines for registration/participation:
- Director/teacher must be a member of ACDA-MN for students to participate. Click here to Join ACDA!
- Check for potential schedule conflicts – Sports/Musicals, Parent’s Day Concerts, etc.
- Please register only gender specific choirs (i.e. SSA(A), TTB(B)). These choirs must be regular curricular offerings of your college, not the female/male sections of a mixed choir, nor ensembles formed just for this festival.
- $100 registration fee may be paid online (Visa/MC). Registration is not complete until payment has been received. Participating collegiate directors are guests of ACDA-MN at the noon luncheon. Payment for student lunches will be collected on or before the Festival day, but after school begins in the fall so you can make an accurate lunch count.
- Give accurate e-mail address. Schedules, information and most communication will be done via e-mail and website.
- Performances in the Intra-Festival Concerts by collegiate choirs are limited to 10 minutes, including entrance to and exit from the risers. A brief warm-up/prep time in the Abbey Church will be scheduled during the day prior to your concert performance.
- Recordings will be made of all three Festival concerts and can be ordered from Westmark Recording. Order blanks will be available the day of the festival, or can be found on the festival website.
- Choral participants traditionally dress in their concert attire for the Intra-Festival and Finale Concerts.