Larry L. Fleming

1999 F. Melius Christiansen Lifetime Achievement Award
Larry L. Fleming (1936-2003)

The founder and music director of the National Lutheran Choir, Larry L. Fleming was a noted conductor and composer of both choral and instrumental music. Dr. Fleming held advanced degrees in composition, conducting and musicology. Each step in his career as a conductor and teacher in academic and professional settings brought him critical acclaim and academic honors. Throughout all, he nurtured a dream of a professional ensemble of singers and instrumentalists which would perform music of the church at the highest possible artistic level. Inspired by the work of Wilhelm Ehmann and the German Kantorei tradition and encouraged by many supporters from across the country, the National Lutheran Choir was formed. Dr. Fleming was a life member of ACDA and active in most applical professional associations. He also edited the National Lutheran Choir Choral Series published by Augsburg Fortress Publisher.

From 1960-1966 Larry was director of music at the University Lutheran Church of Hope and instructor in church music and liturgy and director of the choir at Luther Theological Seminary in St. Paul. In 1966 he went to Valparaiso University in Indiana where he was director of choral activities until 1974. After a year of private study and research in Europe he directed four choirs and taught conducting at Concordia College in Moorhead from 1976-1979. In 1979 he moved to Minneapolis where he was director of choral activities and chair of the music department of Augsburg College until 1986.